This a multi-tier design/development & support role that interacts with the Video Product & Video Operations Teams, CPE manufacturers, and Video systems vendors to provide video solutions. The role is responsible for setting the technical architecture and development direction across a set of internal business applications, leading cross functional technical development teams, delivering business critical projects while maintaining high morale, managing the operational activities in an efficient and professional manner and ensuring all team targets are met as advised by Video Operations leadership.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
BASIC / MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
- Responsible for engineering activities that maintain and enhance the company's video acquisition (RF, IP and Fiber) systems.
- Integrates communication architectures, topologies, hardware, software, transmission and signaling links and protocols into complete network configurations.
- Provide leadership for testing new firmware, software, and hardware supporting Charter’s video solutions.
- Construct test plans to validate functional, performance, and business requirements provided by product and engineering teams for video acquisition, processing, and encoding solutions.
- Evaluate, select, and deploy new test tools and automation frameworks.
- Study future technology developments and formulate associated testing strategies.
- Provide timely and accurate information and status updates to functional leaders.
- Provide day to day leadership, mentoring, and technical guidance to team members.
- Develop and implement development standards, policies, and procedures.
- Understand and define technical roadmap within Video Operations to ensure sound technical solutions.
- Ensure projects are accurately estimated and delivered according to schedule.
- Develop, design and implement electronic systems including audio, video and other multimedia equipment.
- Work with the field on the implementation of video network related projects.
- Work with vendors and Engineering to resolve issues and design flaws.
- Performs other duties as requested by manager.
ADDITIONAL JOB QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering or related field, and / or equivalent work experience.
- Minimum ten (10) years of engineering work experience.
- Minimum eight (8) years of experience working within an Telecom environment.
- Minimum eight (8) years of video signal acquisition experience.
- Minimum five (5) years of project management experience.
- Experience with Video acquisition, transcoding/encoding, multiplexing, and modulation, using such equipment as: Cisco DCMs, Arris CAP/DM6400 Cherry Pickers, BMRs, BNPs, APEX1k-3k, IRDs and common cable CPE.
- Advanced knowledge of Video Compression (MPEG-2, MPEG-4, H264, HEVC, J2K, etc.) and Audio Compression (Dolby AC3, Dolby Digital Plus, AAC, etc.).
- Knowledge of IGMP, IP multicast, API, (BASH), VOD, IPTV, cloud encoding, packaging for live streaming (HLS).
- Understanding of IP networking, TCP/IP protocols, Routing and Switching.
- Experience with network and element management systems, Arris (DAC) and/or CISCO (DNCS) video delivery systems.
- Experience in managing optical transport platforms service gateways (i.e. Cisco ONS, Infinera DTN / DTNx / Flex, Ciena).
- Solid knowledge of related industry specifications and standards IEEE, ANSI, Physical Media (Multimode Fiber, Singlemode Fiber, UTP, etc.), bridging, switching, routing, Ethernet and transport technologies and protocols.
- Ability to work with and lead cross functional teams including; Product, Operations, IT, Care, etc.
- Capable of self-managing time and priorities in a fast-paced work environment.
- Experience in improving Video Operations system metrics.