Continuous Improvement & Operational Excellence Director
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
As the global energy demand increases and government and environmental regulations tighten, our client is the proven performer in providing integrated heat supply and control technologies for the optimization of sustainable conventional and renewable power generation plants.
Our client develops advanced thermal technologies for the world’s toughest industrial heating applications. They do it better, and they have been doing it longer than anyone else.
Are you an expert in Continuous Improvement? Do you love bringing best practice to growing organizations? Do you have strong experience in a company that manufactures custom engineered products? If so, this opportunity might be for you…
As a leader working across the organization at all levels you will be responsible for supervising, managing, planning, and directing the global strategies for the company’s operational excellence and continuous improvement programs.
Key initiatives will include leadership in the company’s quote to cash delivery process design and implementation including continuous improvement project management and kaizen team facilitation.
You will be responsible for provides global functional leadership for the operations team including supporting the establishment of goals and objectives, designing and improving functional processes, plans for talent development and organizational design, functional strategic road maps, budgets, and resource allocation plans.
Prioritizing human and capital investments in operational excellence initiatives including environmental, health, safety, sustainability, and manufacturing technology with be keys to success.
- Manages the development and analysis of statistical data and specifications to determine present standards and establish proposed quality and reliability expectancy for product and process performance.
- Analyzes process and tools used from quote to cash collection and supports the development of proposed improvements then overseas the execution of proposed changes.
- Provides functional leadership to site manufacturing and process engineers, and quality personnel; supports site specific recruitment and training of functional staff, provides input to employee performance; makes recommendations for promotions, transfers, and disciplinary actions.
- Develops functional strategies and road maps to ensure operating sites are planning for and maintaining appropriate site certifications and compliances.
- Plans such matters as design and development of plant facilities and processes, formulation of operating rules and procedures to ensure process control, variation reduction and waste elimination.
- Manages capital expenditures, reviews prior year, and proposes improvements and expenditures for upcoming fiscal year including manufacturing technology assessment and planning.
- Plans, promotes, and organizes training activities related to quality and reliability (i.e. DMAIC and Six Sigma); leads continuous improvement events in VSM, 5S, Pull systems, Process Variation Reduction and TPM.
- Develops and implements methods and procedures for monitoring work activities, such as preparation of records of expenditures, and progress reports, in order to inform management of current status or work activities.
- Demonstrate, through actions, a commitment to the philosophy of continuous improvement and multi-disciplined problem-solving teams in all aspects of performance.
- Must have high level of interpersonal skills to handle sensitive and confidential situations. Position continually requires demonstrated tact and diplomacy.
- Position includes significant travel to domestic and international locations. Willing to travel 50% of the time.
- May direct contracted projects to ensure adherence to specs, procurement of assets and performance of deliverables.
- May provide project management for multi-site continuous improvement projects.
- Bachelor's degree from a four-year college in an engineering field
- 10-12 years of related experience in implementing and maintaining business improvement programs.
- Demonstrated experience in continuous improvement project management, structured problem solving, team facilitation teaching organizations and leading change. Master Black Belt or equivalent practical experience preferred.
- Experience in high mix, low volume, customized engineered to order manufacturing of business to business products
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, and customers.
- Strong communication skills including a strong working knowledge of computer software applications including ERP/MRP, word processing, spreadsheets, database, and presentation software.